January is Oatmeal month and for good reason – oats are awesome! They are an excellent source of soluble and insoluble fiber to keep you fuller longer, and in combination with other important nutrients, prevents and manages a host of illnesses and diseases. And as an added benefit to many families, many oat options are gluten-free. Add the nutrients from oats along with the nutrients in your favorite dairy foods and you have a breakfast combination that can’t be beat.
When you think oatmeal, do you think of a sweet, tasty breakfast food? Yeah, so do I. It never crossed my mind to add something savory to my morning meal. But it is quite a refreshing twist on the tried and true. Here are some delicious ideas to spice up your oatmeal, either savory or sweet.
- Swirl in plain or flavored non-fat Greek Yogurt and your favorite berries
- Add an egg and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese with some green onions
- Combine a splash of milk, a dash of brown sugar and your favorite nuts
- Make things zesty by adding some salsa, sour cream, and avocados
Here are some additional ideas:
- Include mango and coconut flakes for a tropical flavor
- Chop up apples and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar for a little extra sweetness and crunch
- Peanut butter and banana make for a flavor explosion
- Top your oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter and jelly for a spin on the classic sandwich
To add quality protein to your breakfast, always finish your oats with milk instead of water.